top of page
Criminal Lawyer Quincy MA


An abuse prevention order is only available if you have a specific type of relationship with the abuser, such as family, intimate, or residential connections. If the person abusing you doesn't fit into one of these categories, you won't be able to get an abuse prevention order. In that case, you should look into harassment prevention orders.

Criminal Defense Attorney South Shor MA


  • Experienced Former Massachusetts Prosecutor

  • Aggressive Criminal Defender in over 50 Courts

  • Former Director of Statewide Task Force



" Every case and every client is different... I evaluate how any course of action or outcome will affect you, your family and your life "

You can ask for an abuse prevention order (209A order) from a judge if the person abusing you is:

  • Someone who you are or were married to

  • Someone who you are or were living with

  • A family member related by blood or marriage

  • The parent of your child, even if you were never married, or

  • Someone who you are or have been in a serious dating or engagement relationship with and you’re suffering from abuse because the person using abuse has:

  • Harmed or attempted to harm you physically

  • Caused you to fear that you’re likely to be physically hurt at any moment, or

  • Forced you to have sex or threatened you into having sex


You can apply for a restraining order during regular business hours, or through an on-call judge after hours. In either case, the person seeking the order (the plaintiff) must appear before a judge and swear an affidavit detailing the reasons for their request.

When the order issues the respondent (person against whom order is sought) has an absolute right to a two-party hearing. It is at this hearing they can argue against this order and submit evidence on their behalf explain why the order shouldn’t issue.This is often the only opportunity to tell your side of the story.

If the respondent doesn't show up to contest the order, it usually gets granted. This order often includes temporary custody arrangements for minor children and can also establish a temporary amount for financial support.

If you or someone you care about is facing a restraining order, contact Attorney Michael Bradley to ensure your rights are protected. Call (617) 602-5039 for assistance.


1145 Hancock St, Ste E, Quincy MA 02169 
80 Washington St, Bld K, Norwell MA 02061


Tel:  617-602-5039


Click Here to Find Us

For any general inquiries, please fill in the following contact form. For immediate service please call Attorney Bradley directly at (617) 602-5039.



  • Facebook Social Icon
bottom of page